There are known reasons why sea turtle mothers false crawl, or return to the sea without laying eggs:
• She is disturbed by lights or noise.
• She encounters predators.
• She encounters an obstacle while crawling up the beach.
• She encounters roots, debris or rocks while digging her egg chamber.
• The sand does not have the right consistency or moisture.
• Her egg chamber collapses.
Please report any marine animals in distress to the Sheriff's Dispatch 904.824.8304.
Nesting Activity as of June 26, 2020
|Loggerheads: 377||Greens: 9||Kemp's Ridley: 1||Leatherbacks: 15||Total: 402|
|Loggerheads: 75||Greens: 0||Kemp's Ridley: 0||Leatherbacks: 2||Total: 77|
|Matanzas Inlet South|
|Loggerheads: 21||Greens: 0||Kemp's Ridley: 0||Leatherbacks: 0||Total: 21|
Remember: Leave only your footprints in the sand.